Forget March Madness – at this point of the NCAA basketball tournament, I’m just mad. Mad that my once-promising start to the tourney (I guessed right 15 out of 16 times in the first day of games) has quickly digressed to a point where I’m currently ranked 18th in my pool, thanks in large part to the efforts of Davidson's Stephen Curry, right. For those keeping score at home, that’s gonna be hard to make up with only three games left.
Fittingly, I’ve turned my sights at this time of year to the baseball season, now officially under way.
I always hear that spring training is the best time of year. To this I say: No way – which part of games not counting and starting pitchers going three or four innings is the “best?” Not for me, thanks. I’ll gladly take the first week of the regular season (and all the potential and postseason hopes that go with it) as the best part of the year. In anticipation of the 2008 season, I’ve already fired up the grill and stomached my first chili dogs of the spring. In the frenzy of the dawn of a new season, I picked up a couple cans of chili dog sauce last week at the grocery store for the too-good-to-pass-up price of 38 cents apiece to make the pre-game meals that much more special – as special as really cheap chili dog sauce can be, anyway.
As any baseball fan knows, optimism springs eternal at the onset of a new season. As a Tigers fan, this optimism is more of an expectation with the addition of several big-name players such as Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis and Edgar Renteria. Despite the early label of this potent lineup being the new Murderer’s Row, wins will be harder to come by when you consider that our bullpen, due to a notable lack of experience and talent, may be pitching to another Murderer’s Row in the late innings of each game.
- Will this Tigers lineup really score 15 runs a game?
- Will this be the season the Tigers’ aging closer, the almost 40-year-old Todd Jones, right, breaks a hip out on the mound?
- Will the Indians get another shot to choke away a chance at the World Series?
- Will anyone realize the Reds are still playing in 2008?
- Will Jose Canseco (right) next claim that he once injected MLB Commissioner Bud Selig in the behind with steroids before a particularly grueling press conference?
- Will chili dog sauce be 38 cents all season long?